The Field Guide to
A handy reference for aligning people and making steady progress.
- Start at the Beginning
- They are not robots.
- Without trust you have literally nothing.
- Transparency should reveal everything - not just what’s convenient.
- Share the why. Then share it again.
- “Nudge and Inspire” is way cooler than “Command and Control”
- They can only be engaged as you are.
- Bossware is both evil and ineffective.
- Too much automation sucks.
- Data-driven only works with the right data.
- Be the blocker bulldozer.
- Don’t confuse goals and tasks.
- One goal per day is enough.
- Goals should be missed (sometimes)
- Only the ones who do the work know how long it will take.
- We really mean one goal. That includes the org.
- Optimize for energy, not time.
- Notifications are high-interest debt.
- Don’t kill your daily standup.
- A short check-in is a good sign.
- Mind the mood - even at work.
- Remote work amplifies communication issues.
- Meetings are awful. Meetings are great.
- Fight the fire today – but don’t forget the long game.
- The only solution for burnout is a total break.
- Remember why you’re here.
- Recommended Reading